Think of this Wardrobe Essentials Checklist as the foundation of your wardrobe, to be paired in stylish outfits with all the eye-catching pieces you love. Without a good base of essentials you will not reach your full fashion potential.
You might notice that these aren't all necessarily plain, basic clothes, that's because this list focuses on outfit building.
In our guide How to Build an Outfit, we often use these pieces to accomplish Step #3: Fill in the Blanks. If you haven’t read this yet, we encourage you to go back and start there!
- White T-Shirt
- Versatile staple
- Wear it all year round
- Great to pair with statement pieces in bold colors or prints.
- Printed Blouse
- Easily pairs with your essential bottoms
- Effortless work look
- A well chosen print is going to make you feel put together and look chic
- Sleeveless Blouse
- Great as a foundation for layering (denim jacket, moto, or blazer)
- Start with white or black
- Get a flattering cut (v-neck or surplice, loose and flowing)
- Cashmere Sweater
- Easily worn alone or layered
- A material to invest in
- Buy it in a neutral color
- Comfortable and warm
- LIttle Black Dress (LBD)
- Extremely versatile and easy to wear
- Dress it up or down for the occasion
- Neutral, flattering color
- Professional Dress
- Staple of business formal - zip it on and feel instantly put together
- Great for work, job interviews, meetings, conferences, cocktail parties etc.
- Choose a neutral color for your first
- Classic Blue Jeans
- A casual essential
- Dresses down any top
- Lightly distressed is a good choice
- Dark Wash Skinny Jeans
- The most versatile jean
- Compliments both casual and elevated outfits
- Black Trousers
- Work wear essential
- Transitions well from work to happy hour and beyond
- Denim Jacket
- The casual third piece
- Buy a medium wash for a classic look
- Make sure the shoulders fit but the body leaves enough room for layering
- Classic Moto Jacket
- The edgy third piece
- Instantly cool and functional, great in Spring/Fall
- Choose suede, leather or quality faux
- The professional third piece
- Instantly feel polished, great work wear
- Choose black, navy, white or rose
We get it, you might have been looking for a comprehensive list of absolutely everything you should have in your closet right now. That's the wrong way to think about your wardrobe! Your wardrobe should be a reflection of your own personal style, which may or may not fit into the same tidy box as everybody else's.
If you haven't yet, start with Find Your Style Inspiration otherwise...
We aim to make things easier for our clients by keeping an edited collection of the latest trends, and high quality basics. If you need any help, reach out to us on Instagram @mission_edit or leave a comment below!